Rate a trailer
Welcome to our interactive ‘Rate a Trailer’ resource. Here you can view a trailer and compare your own thoughts and analysis to those of BBFC Compliance Officers.
Here are some tips before you get started...
Issues in trailers and advertisements may be classified higher than equivalent material in a main feature because they are shown without warning (unbidden) and are short, meaning they can have a greater impact on the audience.
Audiences actively choose to see a full length feature film based on expectations of the particular genre, its age rating and the ratings info for the film. In contrast, they have no choice about the accompanying trailers or advertisements that they see and which may be very different in tone and content to the film the audience chose to watch. In addition, because trailers and advertisements are short and self-contained, borderline material is less likely to be justified by context and more likely to cause offence.
- All the trailers here have U, PG or 12A age ratings - though many are for films which received a higher age rating in the end
- Each trailer has a brief introduction to tell you how much Compliance Officers knew about a film before they saw the trailer. Remember, some films are already famous before they are released (especially sequels and franchises)
- Remember to look out for key classification issues like sex, violence and bad language
- Don't forget to take into account the tone of the trailer and how it makes you feel
- Keep in mind that trailers come to an audience unbidden
Jurassic World Dominion
Thinking of entering our Create The Card Competition? To help you get your creative juices flowing, take a look at the trailer for Jurassic World Dominion and have a go at rating it.
Dear Evan Hansen
Dear Evan Hansen has been adapted from a hugely popular stage musical. Have a go at rating the trailer.
Ever wondered what it’s like to be a Compliance Officer or ‘film censor’? Why not have a go at rating the trailer for Prano Bailey-Bond's new British horror film Censor?
Rate the trailer for Black Widow. Think about audience, tone and context and choose the age rating you think is most appropriate.
Disney's trailer for Cruella introduces audiences to the early life of the eponymous Ms. De Vil but how would you rate the trailer?
Have a go at classifying Gerard Butler’s latest disaster epic, Greenland. You’ll need to decide how strong the tone and intensity of the trailer is and what impact this is likely to have on younger audiences watching it.