As Live events include content other than traditional cinema films, such as stage or sporting events, which are projected in cinemas. ‘As Live’ age ratings are a lighter touch classification method because they are based solely on information given to us about the live event.
What can/can't I submit?
Live transmissions sit outside the scope of the Licensing Act 2003, but any delayed exhibition (or ‘as live’ exhibition) of the live event is within scope, even if the delay is only a few minutes.
To qualify as ‘As Live’ an event must have taken place within the past seven days.
Due to the nature of an ‘As Live’ event, there is no footage to submit to us, however a submission must be made on Horizon and we must receive the following information about the performance:
- Company information
- Title of the live performance to be used when it is shown in cinemas
- Date of the live performance (this could be in the future)
- Nature of the live performance (e.g. opera, boxing match, play, pop concert, ballet, etc)
- Any restrictions applying to children attending the live event, i.e. children under [x years] not admitted
- Any content (as per the list on the submission form) that may cause the content to require an age rating higher than 12A
How do I submit?
Submissions should be made via the BBFC Horizon.
If you do not have an account please request one.
How much does it cost?
Please see our Fee Tariff for the current As-Live costs.
Is there anything else I need to consider?
Once your registration is complete we will provide you with a white ‘As Live’ card to be displayed in cinemas showing the performance. The white card will include the age rating symbol (12A, 15 or 18). The ‘As Live’ white card should be shown for a minimum of five seconds prior to the screening of the ‘As Live’ event.
You can download our guidance for As Live from this page.