The BBFC assigns age ratings to video works that are released on physical media (i.e. DVD/Blu-ray) under the Video Recordings Act 1984 (VRA).
When do I need to get an age rating for my work?
Video works (Films, TV programmes, Trailers, Adverts, Menus, Bonus Content etc) which are to be released in the UK usually need to be rated.
Distribution companies may claim exemption for some works which 'are designed to inform, educate or instruct' or 'are concerned with sport, religion or music'.
The full exemption criteria are available here.
All videos issued with an age rating under the VRA are also automatically issued with a digital age rating that can be used on digital video services licensed by the BBFC.
Further details are available here.
What can/can't I submit?
You can submit video to us by digital file delivery or finished check discs and single element linear recordings on DVD or Blu-ray. Please note the content needs to be the same as the version that will be released to the public. All works submitted to the BBFC for classification should be the full, final edit in the correct screen ratio with final sound mix.
There are some technical requirements:
- Information on DVD and Blu-ray can be found here.
- Information on Digital File Delivery can be found here.
How do I submit?
In order to submit a work please make an entry on our extranet service.
If you do not have an account you may request one here.
Discs should be sent to the BBFC offices, files are uploaded online.
A guide as to how to submit online can be found here. Please note you will require an extranet login to access this link.
How much does it cost?
Details of fees are available here.
Is there anything else I need to consider?
- If you require a fast turnaround you may wish to consider our Pre-Booking Express Service.
- If your work has received an age rating in the past or you have both a 2D and a 3D version that need to be rated you may be able to request a comparison. This is a compliance process whereby new versions of previously rated works are compared. If they are the same then they can be processed for a reduced fee. Full details can be found here.
- If a video version of a previously classified theatrical feature is found to be identical once it has been examined it will be charged at a reduced rate. Please note this does not apply to audio commentaries, audio descriptive works or those submited alongside other DVD extras. Full details can be found here.
- We can also give you advice as to what rating an unfinished work may receive. Full details can be found here.
If you have not previously submitted a work for a VRA age rating you will be entered into the Video Packaging Review Committee scheme. This is a voluntary scheme of self-regulation by the industry which regulates the sleeves of packaged media. Full Details can be found here.
Customers wishing to opt out of the scheme should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that video works submitted by members of the scheme are not officially rated until the packaging for that work has been approved by the VPRC.