Book A Video Conference or Skype session
Meet an Examiner face to face without leaving your classroom!
You don’t have to miss out on meeting an Examiner if you can’t visit the Board for a student seminar or arrange an examiner visit. We offer videoconferencing and Skype sessions in which our Examiners will answer your students' questions and discuss films, censorship, classification today, important and controversial decisions and key issues with your class. We can tailor this for primary, secondary or university groups. Primary school teachers can also look at our children's website for ideas.
Currently most sessions are short discussions or forums for students to interview examiners, rather than full presentations (we cannot always play clips during conferences, as the quality is variable, though we can discuss key scenes and clips you have been studying in advance). Sessions work best if you let us know what areas your pupils are studying, and they have prepared questions. If we know in advance, we can usually prepare answers on a particular film (or films) you are studying.
It is also possible for Examiners to discuss films/trailers made by students as part of their coursework as long as the coursework can be sent to the examiner well in advance of a session, or for Examiners to focus on a particular decision or issue (eg classifying trailers or the 12A category). Alternatively, Examiners can offer a quick Q&A session after a class has finished watching a film.
- You will need access to videoconferencing equipment and to be registered with the JANET Videoconferencing Service (JVCS) or have a Skype account.
- Sessions can be booked between 10 and 3 pm on most days, although we are a working building and will sometimes have to suggest a more convenient time.
- Like our visits, the BBFC videoconferences and Skype sessions are free of charge. We will endeavour to honour all requests, as long as we have sufficient resources inhouse to do so.
- To find out more email us using the form below (or telephone the BBFC and speak to our education team on +44 (0)207 440 1570).
- Please offer a range of dates/times and book well in advance to ensure we can schedule your conference. Discuss at point of booking any specific requirements you have.
- You need to know the registered venue name from JVCS, and the contact telephone number and the email of the teacher looking after the videoconference on the day, and/or the Skype account details you will be using and a mobile for the teacher.
- We will usually arrange a quick test session to make sure that the connection is easily achieved
- We will confirm the date and time by email.